Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What causes the passenger side to sit lower than the dirver's side in the rear?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 11:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What causes the passenger side to sit lower than the dirver's side in the rear?

Did a search and this seams to be a common problem on stock 4th gen f-body's? However, in all of the threads that were started, I could not identify what the root cause of this problem is. Some of the threads even dated back to '02 so it sounds like these cars came from the factory this way.

Anyone know why the passenger side sits slightly lower than the driver's side in the rear?

Thanks.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Spare tire/jack? That would be my first guess.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:01 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Some people have speculated that it was an intended GM design to compensate for the weight of the driver. The theory is that the car levels out with a driver.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just noticed I am having the same problem...I have eibach prokit springs and bilstein shocks. I know they were level when I first put them on (this is my second set of springs in like 5 years). Now the right side is maybe about 3/4 in lower than the left. The exact same thing happened with my first set of springs after a couple years. Thought it was just all the pot holes in Lawrence, but I have moved since, and the roads are much better here. If anyone knows why the right side keeps dropping, I would appreciate the input...really dont want to have to buy another set if it keeps happening...
Old 11-20-2007, 12:43 PM
TECH Veteran

designer wasnt wearing his right shoe, so he was tilted on the assembly line. i think they called it the happy gilmore project.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:38 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, my car does the same thing. I even swapped the rear springs just to make sure it wasn't an install issue....
Old 11-20-2007, 01:48 PM
10 Second Club

Mine too!
Old 11-20-2007, 05:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
designer wasnt wearing his right shoe, so he was tilted on the assembly line. i think they called it the happy gilmore project.
"In slanty left"

Yep, my car does it to.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Same here, I noticed that and at first thought there was something wrong with the car (I had just bought it and freaked out).

I guess it is normal, haven't heard of any way to correct it. I don't think I weigh enough to even anything out lol.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

mine does it to somebody makes small airbags you can put inside the spring there designed to keep the car strait during launches fbodys tend to twist to the right and wana lift the left tire on hard launches when the cars got stock susp or dosent have the frame supported with a cage or sub frame connectors to keep the car from twisting so i think its the pressure just wears the spring faster and makes it sag i know it bugs the crap out me when i look at it from behind
Old 11-20-2007, 09:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

cant speak for new springs but i know older springs the pass will wear faster due to torque at the wheel ...also a thought{might be stupid to even think this}would the panhard rod have anything to do with this being the way the mount points are??
Old 11-21-2007, 03:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My old TA had a noticeable lean to the passenger side, but the one that I have now (also a 94) didn't have any until I installed the Intrax lowering springs. Now it "appears" to lean to the passenger side but I think it's an optical illusion caused by the passenger side wheel tucking in further as the axle moves left after lowering. An adjustable PHR would probably fix this. I have yet to measure ride height at the wheel arches to confirm this though.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

fill her up with gas and then measure.. might be someothing there haha... but my car does it as well.1\2 inch..im thinkin of just triming the top of the driver coil to get her leveled out..
Old 11-21-2007, 07:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

mines about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch different but i do know it wasnt like that when i bought didnt get like that till i started beaten on it then i lowered it and the same thing happened anybody else notice that
Old 11-23-2007, 05:45 AM
Launching!

wow. i just posted something about this.. sorry guys it was redundant.. but anyways. i have the same problem as well after my install today.. i dont know about you guys but mine is pretty noticeable.. my pass side looks mean as heck.. but my drivers side looks a bit off.. its only been a night and its irritating me visually.. so no one knows a solution?
Old 11-24-2007, 01:49 PM
Launching!

Can Sam Strano or another expert on these car's suspensions chime in please? What is the root cause of the problem? What can be done to eliminate the 'lean'?

Thanks.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:29 PM
Launching!

ttt... also would like to know more information.. i just roughly measured mine and the difference is 1/4 inch. not much but it is still noticeable
Old 11-25-2007, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

My car has the opposite problem... the drivers side is lower than the pass. side. I got under my car and noticed that the spring perch (the part that is welded to the axle and determines how high the body sits) on the drivers side was angled towards the ground.

The passenger side spring perch was parallel with the ground.

For those who have the pass. side lean, get under your car and see if your spring perch on the passengers side is angled differently than the drivers side perch.

My car was in an accident (stupid brother) a few years ago and the drivers side rear was curbed and I think when the shop rebuilt my axle, they fucked up and didn't weld the drivers perch correctly.

I really dont know how to fix it other than cutting it off and welding it back on while still in the car, or possibly do the hose mod w/ the stock isolator to bring the dirvers side level with the pass. side.

Long post, but I think I might acutally be on to something.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:57 PM
Teching In

I have the sagging drivers side as well. My car sits 3/4 of an inch higher on the passenger side. I have been unable to find the cause of the problem. New springs didn't fix it and everything appears in place and undamaged. This has really been bothering me.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Possibly from the torque of the car place's a majority of the cars weight to that shock under acceleration. Mine was perfect after the QA1's after a week of driving the right rear sags.

Quick Reply: What causes the passenger side to sit lower than the dirver's side in the rear?