What's new
World Wide Stereo

6 foot tall (dual) Sonotube Subwoofer builds with 18" Dayton Audio Ultimax called the Twin Odins (1 Viewer)

Wookie Groomer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Shawn
I have a video of the process building these massive subwoofers for my dedicated theater room. As of today, they are so powerful they cause some of the doors on my theater room to bow and I can't keep them latched without them nearly popping out of the frame.

20201002_235002.jpg
20201002_235025.jpg
20201003_215849.jpg

20201003_215904.jpg
20201003_215818.jpg

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Cool project. It brings so many questions to mind. Did you model different enclosure volumes? I'm guessing the 6' height was essentially because the tube was 12'. With that volume, did you consider just making it sealed? Did you do any analysis/sweeps for best placement? Are you going to use DSP?

Wookie Groomer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Shawn
I don't have great answers for your questions but the design was a result of some of the best subwoofers builders across a few different forums. It was a collective design based on the maximum possible output of the driver and the most efficient use of the sonotube. The 6' was in fact the most optimal volume for the sub along with the massive port. I used the same exact tube back in 2000 to build three smaller subs with 15" Adire Audio Tempest drivers and dual 4" dia ports since that design was the optimal use of that driver.

The entire design was modeled in WinISD and Sonosub programs. I don't have any measurements since the budget for a proper mic or minidsp isn't in the cards. Not that I feel I even need them. I hope to produce another video some day with more information on these subs including any measurements with REW. But I will say this, there hasn't been a single instance were the actual house wasn't ready to break before the subs would. The opening few minutes of Edge of Tomorrow doesn't phase my system in the least.

It was this very forum that got me considering Sonotube subs back in the late 90's but today's crowd is an entirely different generation that missed out on those exciting times.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Honestly, a Umik-1 is only about $100 and REW is free. Considering how much you've invested on the whole system, it seems like a good idea.

There are plenty of members here who experienced the sonotube revolution.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sitcomguy
Recent bookmarks